The Department of Arts, Culture and Media at the University of Groningen is looking for a highly qualified female ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR (tenure track leading to full professor) in the field of ARTS AND COGNITION. The application deadline is June 2, 2019.
The selected candidate will receive funding to appoint her own PhD candidate from the start. Moreover, during the first three years of the appointment 60% of the time will be devoted to research (40% teaching).
We are looking for a female scholar in the field of cognitive semiotics and/or aesthetics (e.g. cognitive narratology, arts and cognitive evolution, arts and emotion, arts and embodied cognition). The candidate should also bring a solid background in at least one art discipline: film studies, (pop) music studies, literary studies, theater/performance studies or visual studies. Furthermore, the candidate should be able and willing to take a broader perspective on the cognitive functioning of the arts.
We encourage you to apply if you have:
• a PhD degree for, preferably, at least 2 years on reference date 01/06/2019
• a research record of publications in international top journals and/or in peer-reviewed books
• proven independent and international recognition
• experience in various working environments in different countries
• acquired success in external funding for research projects (where possible and relevant)
• teaching experience or a proven inclination for teaching demonstrated by tutoring/mentoring of individuals or small groups
• demonstrated organizational qualities and communication skills
• an innovative research idea and a challenging outlook for the future which takes into account the international research landscape in your field of specialization
• the ability to communicate, teach and publish in English (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking). Knowledge of Dutch or willingness to learn it within a reasonable period of time may be one of the conditions for tenure (CEFR B2 for reading and listening, and CEFR B1 for writing and speaking) within two years.
Conditions of employment
In accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities we offer you:
• a Tenure Track position leading to full professor
• a flying start with your research because you will get funding to appoint your own PhD candidate
• based on your qualifications and work experience, salaries range from € 5,039 (salary scale 13 Dutch Universities) up to a maximum of € 6,738 (scale 14)
• a holiday allowance of 8% gross allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
• 232 holiday hours per calendar year for full time employment.
• paid maternity and parental leave
• the possibility to work part-time (90% or 80%)
• an employee pension scheme.
During the first three years of the tenure-track position your appointment is divided into 40% teaching and 60% research. In the following two years the ratio is 50/50%.
We acknowledge that talented prospective staff often have talented spouses or partners who also wish to further their Careers therefore we offer Dual-Career Support:
For more information about our Tenure Track career path please see following brochure: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/career-opportunities/tenuretrackpolicymemorandum2017.pdf
You may apply for this position until 2 June 11.59 pm / before 3 June 2019 (CEST)
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
- a full curriculum vitae including a complete list of publications (CV attachment)
- a letter of motivation (Letter of motivation attachment)
- a 3-5 page statement of your research accomplishments and future research goals (Extra attachment)
- a list of five selected ‘best papers’ (preferably including copies) (Extra attachment 2)
- the names and contact information (including email address) of three referees (Extra attachment 3).
The interviews for the Rosalind Franklin Fellowship will be held in September 2019.
Under European jurisdiction it is lawful to specifically recruit underrepresented groups. At the University of Groningen, we believe diversity is key to success. To promote the advancement of talented female researchers at the highest level of the institution we have initiated the prestigious Rosalind Franklin program. The program is aimed at women in industry, academia or research institutes who aspire to become a Full Professor in a European top research university. Since 2002 we have welcomed over 100 Rosalind Franklin Fellows, many of whom by now have reached the rank of Full Professor.
For more information you can contact Prof. Ann-Sophie Lehmann, + 31 05 363105, email@example.com
To apply, please follow the procedure on our website: