We welcome scholars and practitioners from any discipline who wish to examine and explore the connections between movies and mental processes. Our members include motion picture historians, philosophers, experimental psychologists, social scientists, and filmmakers, from around the world.
Our annual membership fee is $80 for established professionals and $40 for students and Ph.D. candidates. (Our conference registration fees are discounted for students and Ph.D. candidates, as well.)
Benefits of Membership
- Subscription of our award-winning journal, Projections: The Journal of Movies and Mind, including online access to all past issues.
- The opportunity to contribute to our online Forum and to email announcements to our membership.
- The opportunity to participate in our annual conference.
- Access to our directory of members.
- Subscribe to the Forum
(You do not need to be a member to receive email notification of new posts.)
- Become a member of the Society
- Renew your membership (log in, first)
- Join SCSMI’s Facebook group and see recent posts
- Check membership status (log in, first)
- Access Projections: The Journal for Movies and Mind online (log in, first)
- Post to the Forum (log in, first)
- Access the directory of members (under construction)
- Send an email announcement to members
- Change your profile or mailing address
- Recover a lost password
- Contact the webmaster
The Society for Cognitive Studies of the Moving Image is a not-for-profit corporation. Anyone is welcome to become a member, by payment of dues. All members are welcome to attend meetings of the Society at our annual conference.
Officers and Board
Stephen Prince, Virginia Tech
Murray Smith, University of Kent
Carl Plantinga, Calvin College
David Bordwell, U. of Wisconsin-Madison, emeritus
Jeff Smith, U. of Wisconsin-Madison
Membership Director and Webmaster
Dirk Eitzen, Franklin & Marshall College
Editor of Projections
Ted Nannicelli, University of Queensland
Board of Directors
Barbara Anderson, Joe Anderson, Todd Berliner, David Bordwell, Margrethe Bruun Vaage, Dirk Eitzen, Kathrin Fahlenbrach, Barbara Flückiger, Ted Nannicelli, Carl Plantinga, Stephen Prince, Johannes Riis, Jeff Smith, Murray Smith, Tim Smith, Monika Suckfüll, Malcolm Turvey
Richard Allen, Barbara Anderson, Joe Anderson, Henry Bacon, András Bálint Kovács, Daniel Barratt, Anne Bartsch, John Bateman, Todd Berliner, Robert Blanchet, David Bordwell, Edward Branigan, Margrethe Bruun Vaage, Noël Carroll, Tony Chemero, Gregorie Currie, James Cutting, Jens Eder, Charles Eidsvik, Dirk Eitzen, William Evans, Kathrin Fahlenbrach, Dan Flory, Barbara Flückiger, Cynthia Freeland, Jonathan Frome, Jason Gendler, Andreas Gregersen, Torben Grodal, Lennard Højbjerg Hansen, Bruce Hutchinson, Joseph Kickasola, Miklos Kiss, Mette Kramer, Birger Langkjær, Dan Levin, Paisley Livingston, Benjamin Meade, Stuart Minnis, Wayne Munson, Ted Nannicelli, Carl Plantinga, Stephen Prince, Johannes Riis, Sheena Rogers, Brendan Rooney, Rikke Schubart, Ben Singer, Jeffrey Smith, Murray Smith, Tim Smith, Monika Suckfüll, Paul Taberham, Ed Tan, Lazlo Tarnay, Aaron Taylor, Kristin Thompson, Pia Tikka, Yuri Tsivian, Malcolm Turvey, Casper Tybjerg, Peter Wuss, Jeffrey Zacks, Dolf Zillmann