Moving images stimulate our senses, arouse our emotions, provoke our intellect, and influence us in ways we may not even recognize. What gives them such command over us? How do they engage us? Why do they entrance us?
We invite anyone interested in addressing questions such as these from a broadly cognitive perspective to join our Society. We believe that humanistic studies and scientific studies of the media can and must enrich and illuminate each other, so we welcome the participation of empirical researchers as well as humanities scholars and artists.
- Join/Renew SCSMI.
- Access the directory of members. (Log in, first.)
- Access Projections: The Journal of Movies and Mind online. (Log in, first.)
Benefits of Membership
Members of SCSMI receive the following benefits:
- Print subscription to Projections: The Journal for Movies and Mind, winner of the 2008 PROSE award for Best New Journal in the Humanities and Social Sciences. (Issues will be mailed to you.*)
- Online access to current and back issues of Projections.
- Opportunity to contribute posts and comments to SCSMI’s online Forum and to send announcements to SCSMI members via the website.
- Opportunity to present at SCSMI’s annual Conference, which alternates between North American and European venues.
- A discount on SCSMI conference registration fees.
- Access to and inclusion in SCSMI’s online Membership List, with links to members’ web pages.
*) Standard SCSMI membership is for one year, from the date of registration. New registrants will receive a print copy of the next available issue of Projections. Members wishing to receive print copies of prior issues may purchase them at a special SCSMI membership price, by emailing the Berghahn customer service team. Click here to email. Online access for members includes all issues, past and current. Click here to navigate to the Members Only page, for online access.
Join SCSMI, subscribe to Projections: The Journal for Movies and Mind, and become eligible to contribute to the Forum by clicking here. (Regular membership fees are $80 annually, and for students and PhD candidates, $40 annually.)
Subscribe to the Forum
Check or change your membership status
You can check your membership status (expiration date, etc.) and change your user profile (mailing address, etc.) via the links under Member Details in the right hand column of this page. If you are not logged in, you will need to log in first.